Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Women In Poker

I know there has been much publicity revolving about Isabelle "No Mercy" Mercier these days and rightfully so. Endorsed by Pokerstars and also representing Team Canada in the WSOP, people are going to be talking. What I am most impressed about with this women is the respect she retains at the tables. Way to many times poker rooms endorse a woman based on sexual appearance. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that this is wrong and believe me sex has always been a contributing factor when it comes to advertising but what bothers me is the attitude this portrays about women.

Poker in my opinion, winning poker takes alot of skill, thought and knowledge. It's a remarkable game and to be able to m,aster it is an achievement, but...and here come the buts. To hire a person who you are going to have represent your site or business for a game, would you not rather have that person be respected because of the solid game they play or because their boobs are popping out their shirt (if they are in fact wearing one)

We had this topic come up on a forum I participate in and it is typical men are from Mars women are from Venus attitude. I enjoy reading about players who are able to out think their opponents, annihilate them and are strategic. Ones who are more concerned about the game and taking it seriously vs those who play the game and are there for looks. Women who don't bring their sex appeal to their game, women like Isabelle or Annie, who can use it without having to go over board. These are strong players, and strong women.

I think it's about time some publicity swings Isabelle's way and all the other women who are amazing poker players instead of weekly gossip column over who did what at what event. I am tired of seeing half naked endorsed sponsors who really don't deserve all the attention they receive. Not when you have others out there who bring with them as much game as the men.

But sex sells right!

No comments: