Thursday, May 3, 2007

Why play poker if you don't want to win.

Why do players choose to play terrible poker I will never know. Isn't the point of playing to win?
I decided tonight I would play some poker online. Since starting the website I really have not had the chance to, so I figured a break was due. I entered the $5 rebuy tournament at Titan Poker with $1000 GP, 101 people in total so it's a decent size in players that I won't have to sit to long. Anyway this game started out like all the other rebuys, crazy maniac play. People chasing runner runner and winning or losing. My main strategy in this is to steer clear of these players till I have a hand that will crush them. literally throwing all my chips in because you know they will call...and they did. But what I don't get is why. Why not try to win, why give up?

For instance in one hand I was sitting in 34th position ( I always keep tabs of where I am in distance to the player in first place) I have $6400 in chips and am dealt AA. I mean you want AA except when you are first to act. So I called the blinds $150 and prayed to god that someone will bump it for me as they do every hand. Just my luck no one, and I end up with 6 others in the pot....bad move. The flop brings Ks 9c 4d. So I figure my only hope now is to buy all the blinds and not let anyone catch anything else so I go all in. BB calls with lol 97os. Normally I would be overjoyed with this but lately I have been in a rut so my stomach is churning and I'm thinking he's gonna hit that damn 7. Unfortunately for him he did not. This hand did hurt him but he still had $7000 in chips left. With blinds at $150 that is more than enough to work his way back up there, but what does he do goes all in next hand and is called by two others. He had 63os and was put out. I can understand being beat by a bad hand and tilting but I think this was more of a punishment to himself for making such a bad call.

This is where I don't understand. I have been in these situations myself, but I don't give up ever. I play to win or make an effort doing so and I think that is what the main goal is. If you give up you are never going to be able to correct your mistakes. There is nothing more satisfying than being dead last and winning it all. Knowing that you played an absolutely superior game and came out on top. If you are going to just give up than you might as well not play at all.

No comments: